Wednesday 8 August 2012

Food Glorious Food


We found the food in hotels and restaurants to be quite nice.  After the horrible injera in Addis and the raw Kitfor in Gondar we were more cautious and tended to eat more European style which had an African twist.


Spaghetti Bolognaise with a club sandwich in the background


Gillian wasn’t happy with her beef casserole with neckbones and rice.  We loved it and ate it all up!

We were told that If you see a stick with a white tin on the top outside an establishment then this meant they were serving young beer which was good for the blood.  A red tin meant that older beer was available and this was good to make you go to the toilet.  Note to self: stick with the white tins.


Now we are in Nasret and working at the school we are eating all our meals at the house and food is prepared by Azeb, Dawit’s mother.  This food is really lovely! Fresh, organic food, lots of vegetables, pulses. 


The injera is much better than my first try in Addis but I still don’t like it. I am making myself have some every day but I am forcing myself. I think it is just a taste I don’t like.  Similar to raw celery.  I can tolerate that better than I used to but it would never be my food of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment